The Institute of Economic Sciences (IES), as a scientific and research institution, is engaged in research in macroeconomics, microeconomics, regional economic development, development studies of domestic and world markets, as well as in the activities of consulting, training and education related to modern business economics, management, marketing, entrepreneurship, finance, banking and other.
In the long and rich history of IES special attention is given to the promotion and advancement of scientific research through the exchange of information and ideas among scientific, business, NGOs and government experts at both national and regional and at European and world level.
Basic internal IES resources are its employees. In June 2015, IES had 39 full time employees, 15 of which in scientific positions, 16 in research and 8 in administration. Since the end of 2011 the number of full time employees in the research sector has increased for 10.
The functioning of IES includes flexible and dynamic structures organized in five centers:
- Center for Basic Research
- Center for Consulting
- Center for International Cooperation
- Center for Digital Resources
- Center for Strategic Cooperation.
Parallel to the work of the centers the Data Processing and Dissemination Department will be in operation and it will consolidate the work of the library and former Publishing Center and serve all four business centers.
The main program orientation of IES in the forthcoming period 2015-2019 includes the following main activities in the field of scientific research:
- Improving the competitiveness of the Serbian economy
- Affirmation of the role of social sciences in formulating public policies
- Theory and policy of economic and social development
- International economic relations and the EU accession process
- Labour economics
- Business economics
- Managerial Informatics
IES has a very rich library with over 10,000 titles, especially old, extremely valuable books. The IES book fund includes the library of the Institute of Economic Sciences and Belgrade Banking Academy library.
IES has adequate equipment for carrying out scientific research. In the previous period, mainly due to the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia as well as its own funds the latest computer equipment and programs have been acquired.
IES has signed the international scientific and business cooperation contracts with 20 foreign and 15 local scientific and academic institutions.
The main direction of development for the next period includes:
- Approximation and harmonization of legislation in the field of science with the EU through Chapter 25 – to provide adequate staff that is capable of participation in EU programs, above all, Horizon 2020, ERC, COSME, IPA programs for regional development and promotion of innovation, as well as the programs of bilateral cooperation.
- Recognition of IES researchers as professionals - IES with more than 30 employed researchers in the field of economic science represents a national center for economic policy-making based on data.
- Publicity of work and results dissemination - in addition to public access to basic IES acts, it is necessary to increase the visibility of research results in order to achieve greater impact of such research in terms of increased citation.
- Monitoring the changes in the economy structure - a new structure that is significantly less dependent on the primary and secondary sector has increased the need for hiring researchers in understanding the consequences of such changes, and even more in the perception and directing the new ways of economic development. There is still a largely unfilled gap in research based on microdata.
- Changes in the education system – it is necessary to find new models of IES researchers’ engagement in teaching in the field of economics, but also in multi-disciplinary studies.
- Changing the focus of research - there is a need for certain changes in the structure of the main areas of IES research compared to the previous period, primarily in accordance with the requirements of the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development, as well as priority objectives identified in the action plan for implementing the program of the Government of the Republic of Serbia.